Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I <3 Rubrics...

As a future educator, I consider myself to be a more liberal teacher in comparision to a traditional one. I believe that school should not only be about facts from textbooks, but should also be about life lessons that can be applied outside of the classroom. Tests and quizzes should only account for one small part of a student's grade. So without a set format and percentage of correct or incorrect (such as a test), how can we teachers assess a student's progress? Rubrics allow teachers to grade their students outside of traditional "right" or "wrong" and give more leway toward other areas of concentration, such as neatness, teamwork, creativity, etc. Another aspect of rubrics is that it allows the student to understand what the teacher is looking for and what he/she will be graded on. It creates a much more fair system that allows the students to see the strengths and weaknesses of their asssignment. All in all, I love the benefits that come with rubrics which is why I will be using them in my classroom assessments.

2 comments:

Anni said...

I agree that in some cases you need a rubric, because not everything can be clearly graded with a letter grade of an A,B, or C

Wendy said...

I do agree in what you say about rubrics and fairness. Rubrics allow students to know where their grades came from. It actually avoids misunderstanding especially when some students think that their teachers gave other students a certain grade just for favoritism. With a rubric a student can really know why he/she achieved a certain grade, and that is not just a grade that the teacher made up because he/she wanted to.