Wednesday, September 3, 2008

All About Me

Hello everyone!! My name is Rachel Goodstein and I am a full time student at SPC. I double major in Elementary Education and Sociology. Growing up being a teacher was the last thing I wanted to be. Who in their right mind would want to be in school for the rest of their lives!?!?! A cartoonist was what I told my teachers I wanted to be in grammar school. When I first came to college I interned at a major record company in the city because I was still unsure if I wanted to pursue a career in education or with something that involved more art and music. I always loved working with children and in the end I knew that I would feel much more satisfied in a field that is dedicated to helping others. One problem with teaching, I hate homework! After taking a few education classes, I got nervous about all the outside work that teaching involves (grading papers, creating tests, etc.).

Luckily for me I had the opportunity to become an art teacher at the Boys & Girls Club in Hudson County. I created my own class called, "Teaching Multiculturalism through Art" and it allowed me to combine my love for art and teaching in a subject that I am also interested in, multicultural education. I would love to do art and music therapy or teach a special class such as the one I taught at Boys & Girls Club. I am going to continue working in the education field until I find my own little niche. :)

2 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Welcome to the world of blogging!

You will find your "niche". I trust that.

Hopefully, this semester will bring you closer to figuring out what you want. However, you never know where life will bring you. So, enjoy the ride...

Michelle said...

Hey Rachel! Do you still work for the Boys and Girls Club? You were working at the one downtown right?
-- Michelle